“Retractable”: why does that matter?
“Retractable”: why does that matter?
It’s a question that we’re often asked at Phantom Screens. Why should I choose retractable screens? To us, who work with our products every day, the obvious answer is: “Because they’re great!” But that’s not actually a very satisfying answer. It doesn’t really do the question justice.
So, here are my six best reasons why you should choose retractable screens over fixed screens or sliding screens.
1. Won’t obstruct your view The great thing about retractable screens is that they disappear from view when you don’t need them! And that allows you to enjoy your view to the outside without having to look through mesh when you’re not using them. Fixed screens are there all year round and looking through them can get really annoying. With retractable screens you don’t have to!
2. Preserves your architectural integrity Reason number two is simple. Our retractable screens are built into discreet housings which have been designed to be incorporated into any home design or décor choice – whether you’re a lover of contemporary architecture or historic homes. Plus you can get them customized with an wide choice of colors and wood grain finishes. What’s more, depending on the product you choose, retractable screens can be recessed so they are completely hidden from view until needed. Check out our case studies to see them on heritage homes: Historic Boston Home and The Kuppersmith Home. Or really contemporary homes: The New American Home 2013 and The Builder Concept Home.
3. French doors Retractable screens really offer the only solution to screen a set of French doors. Two screens are mounted to each side of the door frame. The dual screens meet in the center and are held in place with a hidden latch system in the slidebar and tracks. The great thing about them is they are perfect for both in-swing or out-swing doors – giving you the benefits of screens while preserving the look of your doors and your view to the outside. And you can open one at a time – which makes access in and out of the house easy! You can see them in action here)
4. Protect the interior design of your home If you’ve created a wonderful interior design scheme that includes drapes and curtains, but still want to keep the insects out when the windows are open, retractable screens are perfect. They can be discreetly mounted to the interior – or exterior – of your windows and even include privacy or block out mesh. So you’ll be able to keep your home protected from prying eyes, create a really dark room for home theater or keeping your bedroom dark to aid sleep. The other advantage of retractable screens is that they can reduce the glare of the sun and keep the harmful UV rays out – stopping your furnishings, floors and artwork from fading – and then disappear when you don’t need them.
5. Reduce energy bills It’s true! Retractable screens can help reduce your air conditioning costs and lower the amount of energy used to cool your home. What’s more, if you use exterior mounted retractable screens, they can be as much as seven times more effective at keeping the interior cool as blinds or curtains on the inside. Because retractable screens are used only when needed, your daylight can be maximized delivering significant payoffs in energy efficiency because the amount of artificial lighting and air conditioning you need is reduced. (You can download a very detailed article about retractable screens and energy savings here.)
6. Retractable screens can be protected from harsh weather Yes they can. Phantom’s retractable screens are installed and used all over the world – from the heat of an Australian summer to the exceptionally cold winters of Canada and are durable enough to endure the harshest of winters. All you need to do is retract the mesh into the housing before winter – and that way they won’t be damaged by the elements or collect dust and debris when they’re not in use!
There you have it. Six great reasons to choose Phantom’s retractable screens instead of fixed or sliding screens.
I know I’m the CEO and therefore biased, but retractable screens really do make a difference to your home and you’ll love them. I promise.
Got any questions? Want to know more? Why not leave me a comment and I will respond!